Wednesday 28 May 2008

'Scottish Episcopalian' ...... ?

So wot’s this then ? Is it dangerous ?
Sometimes – tho maybe not often if you live in UK.

I’d been Christened ‘Anglican’ as a babe in arms, went to Baptist Sunday School (‘cos it was just around the corner), graduated to essentially non-denominational ‘Crusaders’, enjoyed the pride that goes with carrying first a Brownie Pennant, then Girl Guide Colours at Church parades. Then in teenage years I spent most of my Sundays with schoolfriends at the local Free/Evangelical/Non-denominational/Non-conformist church, encountering an intense spiritual crossroads of memorable and life-changing significance which turned all the switches of my deep inner life to ’On’. My Christian Life seemed well mapped out - until a No-Nonsense Nudge From The Almighty resulted in a Mighty Move into my local English parish church. Hello, High Anglicanism. Wow – now That was a surprise ! Evangelical Folk Singer to Traditional Sacred Choral Church Music in 6 months. Mmmmn.

When I first came to this city, far-ish north of UK, I was living across the road from a big church. So I eventually called in one Sunday morning – and the eucharistic setting was ‘Merbecke’ – HEAVEN ON EARTH ! - HOME ! And I met folks who became closer than my far-flung relatives, and I got kinda stuck onto the superglue of the place………

And that’s how I became a Scottish Pisky…………..

1 comment:

Pencefn said...

Oh for the chance to hear / sing Merbecke. It was my first introduction to a sung communion service when I was a treble in a small pisky church.

Would love to hear it sung again (and sing it) - maybe even in the church I now attend.